Saturday, November 12, 2005

Spinto Band @ Piano's, November 11, 2005

Welcome to NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR FUCKING BLOG.

I guess I should start off explaining why I've decided to start a new blog. It's not as if I don't have an already existing blog, but you know what? This is going to be more than that. Sure, I might post stuff here from there, but it's so narrow over there, and it's on myspace; governed by the rules of myspace; and full of login's and shittiness, etc. I can expand this little corner of the Internet to whatever I want, and, fuck, if you continue to read it like the sucker you are, I will feel a certain sense of acomplishment. There will be spelling and grammatical errors. This is not my entrire life; however, I will excessively use the word "I" as this is meant to be poor journalism. I might consider you extremely insane for coming back time after time, but, hell, why not? Everyone wants to read about what I have to say, right? I'm the center of the fucking universe, and my opinions mean more than yours...that's what blogs are all about. This one will be no different, and much like the rest of them, no one will care.

So, onto the post. Last night I went to go see The Spinto Band at Pianos. Pianos is a very shitty venue. I never like going there. It was insanely crowded, and I had hoped Spinto had outgrown the small venue since packing a CMJ show there. It was a little miserable being trapped like a sardine, but I really wanted to check out the show.

Enough about the shitty venue, onto the band. I've actually known The Spinto Band for a while don't remember how I actually first met these guys (more specificly one of the guys, who I don't even think is in the band anymore)...probably something They Might Be Giants related. They opened up for the band I used to manage in Syracuse. Anyway, the influence of the quirky-rock duo shows through with The Spinto's with toy instruments(not pictured), kazoos (not pictured), and bouncing energy (pictured right).

The band is basicly doing some gigs to show-off to record labels after the release of their indie label debut on Bar None (though the brits are eating them up like no one's business). The band fit with their label Bar None about as nice and nicely as they fit at Pianos; they are ready to break out onto something bigger, but it has quite happened yet.

It'd be great to see a quirky rock band being on a major label again (fingers crossed). It's been a while since bands like They Might Be Giants (sorry to reference them again) or Presidents of the United States of America made an impact. But does any label really know how to handle a quirky rock band anymore? Emo is the new big thing in rock for the majors; that hasn't been cool for years and they barely know how to sell that. Let alone, major labels barely know how to sell rock in general, and the quirkiest thing I've seen come out lately from a major is The Bloodhound Gang. That's sad; that's really sad. To put it mildly, I have hope for future signings, I'm just not sure I have hope for future profits.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home